Blog Links

Pinterest Adventures             Good Books             Teacher Stuff             Weight Loss Surgery             Tutorials             Recipes             Essays            

Search This Blog

Link up with Me

Coming Soon! Mom's Monday Mingle

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Two Meat Eaters and One Vegetarian: Chili Night

My daughter is a vegetarian.  It is my fault.  One day we watched Food Inc. together.  I have to admit that I chose not to eat meat for awhile myself, but it was hard to stay with it.  My son and my husband refused to give up meat.  Men!

So, I had a choice.  Make two different meals every night, or figure out a way to adapt each dinner so I could serve a vegetarian version with the meat version.  I chose to adapt.

I want to make sure that my daughter eats enough protein and vegetables to keep her iron levels up, so it is important to incorporate as many nutritious ingredients as I can.

The first rule in making a vegetarian meal alongside a meat meal is that the utensils should never touch or you may as well throw the vegetarian meal away.

Tonight is chili night, and it is easy to adapt to feed both sides of the battle.


Meat Chili:                                          Vegetarian Chili
1 lb of Ground Beef                              1/2 Pkg Morningstar Grillers Crumbles
1 Can of Chili Ready Tomatoes            1/2 Can Chili Ready Tomatoes
1.5 Cans Light Red Kidney Beans        1/2 Can Light Red Kidney Beans
1.5 Cans Dark Red Kidney Beans        1/2 Can Dark Red Kidney Beans
1.5 Cups Tomato Sauce                        1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
2 T Chili Powder                                   1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder                            1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Chopped Onion                               1/4 Chopped Onion

Brown ground beef (no need for the grillers) add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 min on medium.  Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and saltine crackers.

It is a simple recipe to adapt and satisfies everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment