Blog Links

Pinterest Adventures             Good Books             Teacher Stuff             Weight Loss Surgery             Tutorials             Recipes             Essays            

Search This Blog

Link up with Me

Coming Soon! Mom's Monday Mingle

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pinterest Adventures: Homemade Deodorant


I have a personal question to ask.

Do I smell?

I hope not.  I have been using homemade deodorant for the past several months.  Once I heard that the chemicals in store bought deodorant may potentially cause breast cancer, I knew I had to try something else.   My mother is a breast cancer survivor, and I know I need to be vigilant now that I am reaching that age.

Homemade deodorant is simple to make.  
This is the source that I originally pinned: Source

 I really looked all around Pinterest and found mixed reviews on using arrowroot.  I chose to go with corn starch because most reviews say it does not cause irritation.

The recipe:

1/3 Cup Corn Starch
1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
1/3 Cup Baking Soda
10-20 drops of essential oil of choice.  I use lavender.

Mix together until the ingredients form a paste.  

Stuff into an old or new deodorant container.

Place in the refrigerator overnight and it sets up nicely.  Yep, my deodorant is hanging out next to the yogurt.

I had enough with this recipe to make a second container for my mom, and a travel size that I will keep in the freezer until I need to go somewhere.

Some of the Pinterest posts suggest adding beeswax in for the summer months so it won't melt so easily.  I haven't tried that yet.

I have to admit, the first few weeks that I used this deodorant, I did experience a bit of irritation.  Not a lot, but it was noticeable.  The Pinterest theory is that your body has to detox itself from the chemicals in your old deodorant.  I have no way to prove that.  However,  now that I am past that, I really prefer this homemade concoction.  I feel safer.  I think it works well.  But, if I do smell, will you let me know?


1 comment:

  1. Homemade deodorant products are free of chemical and this is the most important benefit of deodorant. That is why I am using homemade products.

    ReplyDelete