Blog Links

Pinterest Adventures             Good Books             Teacher Stuff             Weight Loss Surgery             Tutorials             Recipes             Essays            

Search This Blog

Link up with Me

Coming Soon! Mom's Monday Mingle

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss: My Favorite Books!

Happy Birthday Theodore!
Since it is Dr. Seuss' Birthday, and officially Read Across America Day, I thought I would share some of my favorite books with you.

When my children were little, this was their favorite bedtime book:



We adored Anna's relationship with her little green dragon.  The word choice is fairly sophisticated for a children's book.  Reading books with a sophisticated vocabulary is a good way to increase your child's own vocabulary.


I fell head over heels in love with The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd the first time I read it.  Now I get to read it in English 11 with my students.  As usual the book is much better than the movie! I have an affinity for books set in the South during the Civil Rights Era.  So many lessons still need to be learned from that time period.

Anything Janet Evanovitch, even though they are not great literature, they are darn funny, and sometimes you just need to read for fun.  I love the characters in these books!  Do Not bother with the movie.  It is terrible!



The Birth of Venus:  I adore historical fiction.  The story, the life, the characters.  I love the drama in this novel.
The Red Tent:  I read this book several years ago.  I love the Biblical story behind the story.


Two books I have read recently, that I recommend are:
The Paris Wife, I felt like a fly on the wall in the middle of Ernest and  Hadley Hemingway's marriage.


Gone Girl,  If you like a thriller.  Read This!

Whatever you do, drop everything and READ!  Happy Read Across America Day!



5 comments:

  1. I will definitely put them on my "To Read" list and "check them out" sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love The Paris Wife Book! I see a couple others that I'd want to read too! TY!!!
    ~Jen
    Marine Wife Mommy & Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by the Weekend Blog Hop! I love Janet Evanovich, especially the early ones. I read The Paris Wife and may have to check out a few others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your blog is quite interesting. I decided to follow and get to know you.

    WSM Blog Hog sent my by.

    http://agutandabutt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you. I will stop over to yours as well.

      Delete