Blog Links

Pinterest Adventures             Good Books             Teacher Stuff             Weight Loss Surgery             Tutorials             Recipes             Essays            

Search This Blog

Link up with Me

Coming Soon! Mom's Monday Mingle

Monday, February 18, 2013

Pinterest Adventures: Cheeseburger Soup

I have a problem with Pinterest.  However, I am learning lots from it.  With an almost empty nest, Pinterest helps keep me busy.

Right now I am in the deep well of basketball widowhood.  I have one kid at college, one whose off on his own adventures, and a husband off coaching and assistant coaching high school girls' basketball.  There are days when it seems like I am not needed for much.

I have found that I am still good for something.  Food.  What's the first question my son asks when he comes home at night? You are right!  "What's for dinner?"

Tonight's Pinterest Adventure is Cheeseburger Soup.  Here is the verdict:
I asked my 17 year old if I should make it again.  "Yeah, fine" was the answer.  That means he liked it.

I did some things differently:
1.  I did not chop up 4 cups of potatoes.  Yeah, no way.  I added a bag of plain hash browns.  The cubed kind, not the shredded kind.
2.  I used non-fat milk.  It thickened very well.
3.  I used 4 cups of chicken broth, because that's the amount in the box.
4.  I added 1 Tbsp butter to the roux.  It needed more moisture.
5.  I could have added celery, but I didn't feel like chopping it.  I hate chopping.  Have I said that before?

Here is the recipe.


http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/174041242/cheeseburger-soup/


½lb. ground beef
¾cup chopped onion
¾cup shredded carrots
¾cup diced celery
1tsp. dried basil
1tsp. dried parsley flakes
4TB butter, divided
3cups chicken broth
4cups peeled and diced potatoes
¼cup flour
16oz. of Velveeta processed cheese cubed
cups milk
¾tsp. salt
¼ - ½tsp. pepper
¼cup sour cream

Directions

Brown the ground beef in 3 quart saucepan. Drain and set aside. In the same saucepan add 1 TB butter and add onion, shredded carrots, parsley flakes, basil and celery. Saute until tender.
Add the broth, potatoes and beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
In small skillet melt remaining butter (3 TB) and add the flour. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.
8 servings

Again, it is delish!  Try it!


4 comments:

  1. I can so relate to "There are days when it seems like I am not needed for much." Ugh. We went out to lunch for Valentine's Day and Todd this kind of soup. He really liked it! Did you see my idea about pre-dicing celery and freezing it in ice cube trays. You'll have it when you need it and it does add some nutrition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Great idea, though that would require chopping. I should hire you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following and I am following back. I am always looking for great recipes and the simpler the better so I loved taht you don't like chopping:) I will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things like this sound so yummy but I married a freak of sorts who does not like cheese or sour cream or anything delicious. Who doesn't like cheese, anyways?! Ah well, I've learned to make most recipes half and half! New follower from the Monday Mingle, hope to see you stop by High Heeled Mama soon!

    ReplyDelete