Blog Links

Pinterest Adventures             Good Books             Teacher Stuff             Weight Loss Surgery             Tutorials             Recipes             Essays            

Search This Blog

Link up with Me

Coming Soon! Mom's Monday Mingle

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

DIY Tutorial: Make your own rhinestone backing board for less.


Silhouette rhinestone template material is fairly expensive.  I make my own template material using foam board from the store.

This board cost me $1.40.

I took an 8.5 X 11 piece of template backer board and used it to trace onto the large foam board.

Then I measured out as many 8.5 X 11 pieces as would fit on the sized 20 X 30 foam board and traced them on the board.

I cut them with my husband's razor blade knife.  Be sure to put your board over a self healing cutting mat for safety.

Using your ruler as a guide, score the line you drew lightly, trying to keep the knife evenly on the line.  I am not always successful with this.  

The knife won't go all of the way through.  Turn the board over, and bend it where you previously scored it.  This shows you where you need to score the board again.

Cut all of the pieces carefully! 

I had two smaller pieces than 8.5 X 11.  That's okay.  I used it for a smaller template.

Stick the template material on the piece of foam backer board.
Place in a tray or box and pour the correct sized rhinestones over the board.  
Use the rhinestone brush and swipe the rhinestones into the holes with a circular motion.
Make sure all of your stones are placed correctly, and put transfer tape over the rhinestones.  Attach and remove carefully.

Place the transfer tape on your T-shirt.  Place a cloth over your image and let the iron sit on the spot for 30 seconds.  Move the iron until all of your rhinestones are affixed.  Remove the tape and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering how you did that. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Do you have one for making cheap rhinestone stencils out of? Is that what stick flock is? What's the material called that I put into my silhouette machine?
    And then the cut out design goes into the foam board and the cut out template can be used over and over correct?

    ReplyDelete