Blog Links

Pinterest Adventures             Good Books             Teacher Stuff             Weight Loss Surgery             Tutorials             Recipes             Essays            

Search This Blog

Link up with Me

Coming Soon! Mom's Monday Mingle

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal: Weight Watchers Friendly

I know the feeling.  You are salivating.  You love cinnamon rolls, but you don't eat them.  Carbs, sugar, no protein.  They are not good for you.

But, Chocolate-Covered Katie has a solution for you, ahem!...me.

If you have never visited her blog, you should.  She has many solutions to your my sweet tooth issues.

Since it is a Yippy Skippy Snow Day! here, it is the perfect day to fill my house with a yummy cinnamon smell.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!  I probably went overboard on the cinnamon on the "frosting" but cinnamon is good for you and helps control blood sugar spikes.  It is pretty isn't it!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/09/09/cinnamon-roll-baked-oatmeal/

Here is Katie's recipe:

Cinnamon-Bun Baked Oatmeal
(Serves 1)
  • 1/2 cup oats (50g)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • sweetener, such as 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or 1 to 1 1/2 packs stevia (I omitted, but I’ve cautioned y’all before about my lack of sweet tooth.)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (60g) (You can sub pumpkin or mashed banana)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice, creamer, juice, or water 
  • heaping 1/16th tsp salt
  • Optional, for a more-buttery flavor: 1 tbsp oil or nut butter (if oil, scale the other liquid back)
  • Optional: handful of raisins, chopped walnuts, brown sugar for the top
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine raw oats, spices, applesauce, and liquid. Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin (or, for mini boats, two 1/2-cup ramekins). Cook for 15-20 minutes, or more until it’s firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3 more minutes (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Don’t forget to spray your ramekins first, if you want your cakes to pop out.
And for the "frosting":
Cheesecake Sauce
(Also known as “Cinnamon Roll Frosting”)
  • 1/4 cup mori-nu silken-firm tofu (50g)
  • 3-4 tbsp cream cheese style spread (such as Tofutti non-hydrogenated)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2-3 tbsp milk of choice (depending on desired thickness)
  • sweetener to taste (such as sugar, stevia, agave, etc.)
  • optional: feel free to blend in 1/4 cup berries
Combine all ingredients in your blender or food processor and blend until smooth. I used the Magic Bullet short cup. (If you have a larger food processor, you might want to double the recipe for better blending.) Makes about 2/3 cup.  This pretty much tastes like cream cheese frosting in liquid form. You might even try doubling the recipe and maybe even adding a 1/2 cup of fruit and extra milk for a fruit-cheesecake milkshake!
I changed it up a bit.  I am not vegan, so I don't use much tofu. I used vanilla greek yogurt instead.  I used Splenda for the sweetener.  


Look at all of the snow we have already.

Seriously, it is scheduled to hit this afternoon.


I can eat cinnamon rolls again!  I can't count the points for you due to copyright issues, but this is very Weight Watchers friendly!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!


2 comments:

  1. Looks good! New follower from Mom's Monday Mingle; I hope you take the time to visit www.lifewithmoorebabies.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I'd go for one. And I hope you survived the snow day!
    Nikki
    rushedmommy.com

    ReplyDelete