Blog Links

Pinterest Adventures             Good Books             Teacher Stuff             Weight Loss Surgery             Tutorials             Recipes             Essays            

Search This Blog

Link up with Me

Coming Soon! Mom's Monday Mingle

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Saturday Education Discussion: Reading

As an English teacher, I have witnessed a decline in students' willingness and ability to read over the last several years.  The question is why?  What keeps today's teens from picking up a book to read for fun?

Do your kids read?  If they do what got them interested in reading for pleasure?

My two young adults are both avid readers.  Sometimes their school workload hinders their reading time, but for the most part, they are happy to spend their free time with a book or e-reader in hand.

I work very hard at finding material my students will enjoy, but many non-AP students are not motivated to read anything but Twitter feeds once they leave my classroom.  I am constantly shocked when I hear kids say that they hate reading.  Why?

Let's talk.  Please comment below.

4 comments:

  1. By the way, I am not just talking about school books. I am talking about reading in general. I know most kids do not want to read Macbeth for fun. What about the explosion of choices in the Young Adult category? Why aren't they reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this is something that has changed a lot actually. To be honest I never read all of a good number of my English books. A big part was selection. A lot of the assigned books were just not interesting to me. One thing that made a huge difference was that I had genre specific literature classes available to me. I read every word of every assignment and then some in my modern world lit and sci-fi classes. I even use readings from them both for the classes I teach today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it isn't twilight and/or it doesn't have a cute puppy on the cover, there's no point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was an avid reader as a child. I would stay up hours past my bedtime with a torch under my duvet finishing my books. I am just as passionate about reading now, with much less time, but I encourage it with my 2 year old. We read before bed, we take books to read on the train and on the bus. From what I've read/heard it's parents who don't read to their children that cause the lack of interest in books (but it's just hear say). When my daughter can hear my passion and the way I take on all the characters to make the story come alive she enjoys (and interacts) with the books and the stories, and often asks me for more when it's time to stop reading. I think reading broadens your mind and imagination and if it's true that there is a decline in reading I think it's a really sad thing.
    http://myfroley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete