Blog Links

Pinterest Adventures             Good Books             Teacher Stuff             Weight Loss Surgery             Tutorials             Recipes             Essays            

Search This Blog

Link up with Me

Coming Soon! Mom's Monday Mingle

Monday, December 31, 2012

Quick and Easy Monday: Winter Tacos

Happy New Year!!

Beginning Today, though it is New Year's Eve, I will post a healthier version of a quick weeknight meal. I don't have a lot of time to cook at night.  Planning ahead helps me get dinner on the table and the dishes done before my energy wanes.

One of my family favorites is my Winter Taco recipe:  No advanced preparation or chopping is required.

First, brown very lean ground beef.  I use a pound and a half because my 17 year-old son devours protein.  With such a low fat content in the beef, it is a good idea to add 1/4 cup water to the pan so the beef does not brown too quickly.

Here is the winter element.  I despise chopping vegetables.  I am too accident prone to be trusted with a knife anyway.  I can't find very good quality fresh tomatoes at my local store.  I don't garden or can summer produce. So, I add a can of petite low-sodium tomatoes to the cooked beef, juice included.






Add a packet of low-sodium mild taco seasoning mix, water as indicated on the package.  Stir and simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat.  Please don't remind me that I can make my own seasoning mix.  I know.  I hate cutting veggies because it is time consuming. (Plus, I often inadvertently cut some part of myself, a finger, a toe, something.) I also don't want to mix my own taco seasoning.  Too much work.

I put a taco bar out on the kitchen counter with whole wheat, low-carb taco tortillas, Mexican cheese blend, bagged romaine lettuce mild salsa, and fat free sour cream.

A quick and easy 20 minute meal.  I would have a picture of a finished taco, except my camera died right as I was going to take a picture.  Ugh!

Once the dishes are done, relax, just like my boys below.





Happy New Year to All!
Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment