Blog Links

Pinterest Adventures             Good Books             Teacher Stuff             Weight Loss Surgery             Tutorials             Recipes             Essays            

Search This Blog

Link up with Me

Coming Soon! Mom's Monday Mingle

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

New Day

Today, I have decided to publish what I preach to myself to keep myself accountable for my goals. Whether anyone actually reads this or not is not the issue. The issue is that I am not where I want to be, but I am going to get there.

I don't want to wait until New Year's Eve to write my list of resolutions. They are always forgotten by February 1st. My goals are not resolutions.

Goals:
1. Run a 5k (Thanks to the Couch to 5K app on my iPhone).
2. Lose the weight that is making me unhappy about myself. (By staying focused on Weight Watchers)
3. Begin writing, seriously, so that I can find a retirement job when I finish my teaching career in 10 years.
4. Learn how to knit. (I already know how to crochet).

For the past four weeks I have been running on the treadmill three times per week. However, I am still on Week 3 of the Couch to 5K program. I haven't been able to make myself run a full three minutes as is required in the program. I am not going to move on to Week 4 until I master week three. Hopefully I will be ready in one more week.

I hope that sometimes my blog will make you chuckle. I tell stories to my classes everyday. I am thinking if I post them in writing, I will remember them in my old age.

So....let's talk about my weight loss goal. It's the elephant in the room (no pun intended). I need to lose 45 pounds to be in the optimal range for my height. Our school district has recently adopted a wellness program, and if we don't meet our wellness goals, we will be required to pay 10 percent of our premium. I am stubborn enough that I refuse to pay that amount, so I am going to meet my goals come hell or high water.

The nurse called me last week to set those pesky goals, and I haven't found the gumption to call her back as of yet. I probably should add this to my goal list. It will definitely be a reality check.

Last night I did hit the treadmill, following the Couch to 5K app which I downloaded from iTunes. Since last week was a bad week for exercising, I started week three again. So now I am on week three of Week 3.

To be honest, I have no idea how to breathe properly when running. I probably should meet with a personal trainer or take yoga so that I can learn better. I have the energy to run for three minutes, but not the breath. I have been trying to slowly breathe in and out at regular intervals. But since I have been doing this since birth, I am guessing I don't know the right technique for breathing while running.

Tonight, following my part time job tutoring students at our school's after school study hall, I am going to a Weight Watchers meeting. I am really excited that Weight Watchers is opening a new branch very close to my home, so I will have absolutely no excuses for going to the meetings. I am a lifer, so I know the meetings work and are the only way to hold myself accountable.

Each time I work out on the treadmill, I always try to set the incline for at least 4, depending on if I am walking or running. That's why I am calling this blog Slowly Going Uphill. I am trying, but I need to keep going. Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment